Saturday, November 10, 2012

Shots, Shots, Shots! Oh Wait...

Oh how life can change...

I've never been the drinker or the partier in my group of friends, and even when I do drink, its not very often...

It's funny to think of all the parallels...having a child really does help you "grow up", and fast.
After our initial ultrasound, my awesome doctor's continued to monitor my hormone levels on the medication. At first check, 16.9....two weeks later 22.6....four weeks later, it surprised every one and took a nose dive.

It dropped by half. (11 something) The terror I felt when I heard that was like none other...I was terrified that I was losing ANOTHER baby...and this time after hearing a heartbeat. I was frantic. Luckily, they decided to put me on progesterone shots.

We went to the doctors where they taught my already highly knowledgeable paramedic husband how to inject me with 200 mg of this stuff. It's thick because it is in vegetable oil...so when you inject it you have to do it slowly...like a minute or more...otherwise you get really painful welts...they suck. Trust me.

The injections themselves weren't bad...and I honestly didn't care. All I wanted was to save my baby. Had they not given me the shots when they did....It probably would have continued to drop and I would have experienced miscarriage number three. The thought that I could have lost this baby...it boggles my mind. Makes me think back to the other doctor...the one who would do NO supplementation and wonder, if I had still been with them...what would have happened...

I went for monitoring every two weeks of my levels from then on and stayed on the shots until I was about 30 odd weeks or so...it was a yo yo at times, dropping down to once a week, going back up and then finally finding a happy medium of less milligrams...but through it all, the bruising and scarring included...I only thought of one thing. The miracle of our baby. I also stayed on the nightly meds every night...until about 34 weeks....when my body finally started to show promise that it was handling everything on its own....

I could care less about going back to my partying and drinking days and having shots. These shots...the shots that saved my daughters life...were the best shots I ever HAD to have....

1 comment:

  1. lindsey, i am so so happy for you and nick!! those shots are little miracles to help bring you your miracle. i am so excited for you and can't wait for the post when you introduce your daughter. <3
    lots of love xoxox
    maria

    ReplyDelete